Monday 12 December 2016

Sleepwear!

Does anyone else struggle to find sleepwear that suits? Remembering that in the southern hemisphere we are in summer, currently I can find PJs that are shorts and Tshirts, granny nighties (lightweight cotton, gathered at the neck on a facing or yoke) or Tshirt nighties. None of these appeal - for all kinds of reasons. So I started to think about making my own. So what do I want from PJs? Comfort, decency (don't need to scare the kids 😉), cool (as in not too warm), some shape. Hmmmmm... nothing in the shops fit the bill. So I started a Pinterest board - sewing: pyjama inspiration. But nothing jumped out at me saying "I'm the one!" So I thought about what in each pattern I liked. Words that describe my likes: feminine, some shape, "not granny", decent, cotton (!).

I used an old nightie as the basis for pattern. Baby doll cut (a slight a-line), ruched bodice, and a bit longer than anything I've seen. I measured everything and then created pattern pieces. Back and back facing (identical), front (ruched) and front facing, and skirt front and back. I started off with identical front and back pieces but that changed 😉.

I scored some extra special fabrics at Spotties, Isa Form Fishes. I love it. My sister is living in Scandinavia right now so it has extra meaning. And as an extra special I have heaps left over - enough for a present for her?!?

Construction involved: gathering the front (EPIC FAIL - I need to work on my gathering method), join front and back at side seams, join front and back facings at side seems, pin front straps, join front/back to facing at top seam reinforcing at straps, fit elastic across back wedged between back and facing, sew skirt sides ( I ended up adding a 2" wedge to the skirt), sew bodice and skirt together with a generous seam, encase elastic in the seam and stitch, fit the straps, hem. That reads as quite straightforward but it wasn't. I haven't done much "rubbing off" patterns from finished garments so there was lots of tweaking.

I under measured everything. I extended the front bodice and added the wedge in the skirt so I could get it round my rib cage. I got the length right 😉. I used bra elastic for straps and a narrow hem.

Here's the finished version. It's very comfortable and wearable. The fussing around was worth it. I've taken enough notes that I can replicate it. I think I will.



No comments:

Post a Comment