Tuesday 6 January 2015

Blog catch up #2

There are a few more makes I need to update.

Knit Hoodie. After the success of the pants sewing, I decided to buy another Craftsy class. Sewing with Knits with Meg McElwee. I've sewed with knits before but I've never been confident that I'm doing the right thing so sitting down with a pro (in a virtual sense) is something that I've been wanting to do for a while. Whilst I really want to do the tshirt, I decided to start at the beginning (!) with the hoodie. I have some left over poly? knit that feels a bit like a lightweight ponte from when I made X a dinosaur constume when he was 4 (ok I'm now officially feeling old). It's been in my stash for so long now, using it for a test piece is fine. I'm sitting between a S and M in sizing so decided to cut an M.

I stitched along with Meg. Gee, she's lovely! Between her fab smile and great techniques, it was a pleasure having he in my living room :). I spent more time cutting out than I would usually but I think the result was worth it. I laid out the pattern pieces, weighed them down and marked them out with tailors chalk rather than trying to cut using the pattern (thanks for the tip Meg). No distortion. None. I am going to try this with other patterns that use heavier weight paper in the future. Knits and not-knits.

I was worried about attaching the hood with the crossed over front. I couldn't  visualise the instructions. This was the only bit that I struggled with. So I took a big breath, and stepped through (very slowly) Meg's instructions. And guess what? It worked! The finish is great. I must admit to being a bit nervous about using the twin needle to finish hems, but again, Meg's instructions were great and there were no problems. So that's another thing off my CTT list.



Knit Tshirt. Whilst I was still on a roll, I grabbed some lightweight cotton knit and trialled the tshirt from the Craftsy course "Working with Knits". This is the second of 5 pieces made in this course and builds on the first, the hoodie. The best thing I learned from making this top is how to make a flat self bound neck. And yes, it really is flat. I decided to make the 3/4 length round neck T. There are other sleeve  and neck options. This was made up really well and I'm very happy with the result.

London blazer. Yep. I'm on the bandwagon. And very happily on. I've made a London jacket designed by those fab gals at By Hand. Love! I wanted to try the cropped version first. This would fill a gap in my wardrobe. I wanted a plain fabric. Maybe with a cheeky surprise for a lining. I decided on white sateen - just a little bit of shine. And my lining is some poly/cotton poplin that has both strawberries AND polka dots on a pale aqua background. I really like this fabric.

The outfit came together well. I was a bit nervous about attaching the collar/lapel - I couldn't visualise the end result in my head. This is not common for me. But I slowed down and followed the excellent instructions and it all worked out. No problems at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment