Monday 29 July 2013

Working with georgette

So I've bought some georgette. I like the way it drapes and I'm hopeful that I can use less structured patterns. But... I'm nervous about working with it. I've seen enough negative comments about working georgette to sink a ship. So I've hit the books (and the blogs and anywhere else I could think of) to research ways to make the experience less painful. This post is a summary of what I've found.


Cutting
  • Put a sheet on the cutting table and make it tight using safety pins. Use an old one so it doesn't matter if it gets snipped.
  • Lay tissue paper under the fabric to assist in stabilising
  • Pin the pattern, fabric and paper backing and cut through all layers
  • Use serrated scissors or rotary cutter
Pattern selection
  • Select patterns with minimal seams, darts and facings
  • Pattern details that are suitable include pin tucks, ruffles and ruching
Construction
  • Baste seams
  • Use French or flat-felled seams
  • Use rolled hems
  • Finish seams with sheer bias-cut tricot
  • Do not use back stitch to secure threads - the bump can show
  • Double-stitched hems work well but they can fray
  • Place layer of tissue paper under georgette when sewing - tear paper away when seams are completed
  • Keep fabric taut by holding in front and behind the needle
  • Use another sheer for facings. Consider self-facing.
  • Pin in seam allowances or use weights
  • Use tailor tacks not chalk or marker
  • Press seams flat before pressing open to meld stitches
Sewing machine
  • Use a walking foot or roller foot
  • Use a narrow needle plate
  • Use 70/10 needle
  • Loosen needle thread tension

No comments:

Post a Comment